EDIT : hmmm ... the baked rhubarb with orange zest & vanilla beans ... ewww ... not so much ! So this weekend I will try out Rhubarb Cheesecake ...
I'm in a bit of a random mood ... mind moving off in 50 directions at once these days ... so random blog post ...
Here are some things I know or love ...
1. Rhubarb ... love it. My goal this year is to use up every bit of its spring goodness. We have THE BEST rhubarb ... ruby red & sweet. Gorgeous. It came with the house ... we've never done much to it. But it is faithful and true. Every year I use some & give some away and the rest bolts. No bolting this year ... I am on a mission to make RHUBARB EVERYTHING !!! Rhubarb drink syrup, rhubarb jam, rhubarb in the freezer, rhubarb cheesecake, ... on and on ...
So far I have made Rhubarb Custard Cake which was SPECTACULAR !!! It was soooo good. And so easy ... Wanna make it ? Here's how :
Mix up a golden yellow cake mix as directed. Now don't think this will taste cake mixy because it doesn't. Pour into a greased 9x13 pan. Sprinkle with 4 cups of chopped rhubarb, 1 cup of sugar. Then pour a pint of whipping cream over top. (strange, huh?) . Bake at 350 for 50-60 minutes. Cool and then chill. (okay we ate it while it was still a bit warm and it was yummy then too !) But as it chills it forms a lovely rhubarb cream custard on the bottom topped by a thin layer of cake. SOMETHING MIRACULOUS HAPPENS IN THAT PAN !!! Try it - you will love it !! Add a dollop of whipped cream and experience bliss !
2. Rhubarb stepping stones ... another project using the leaves & cement ... hope to do that this year !
3. HALLELUJAH by Leonard Cohen (or anyone else who does a good job) ... can you ever hear that song too often ? I think not.
4. The mothballs are back. (see posts from Feb 2009) See ya Mr. Stinky Cat !!
5. Our niece Amy is graduating from MSV tomorrow... so proud of her ! She has a great job already and volunteers with several wonderful groups. A great girl ... I would love her even if she wasn't family !!
6. Gardening ... soon time to put mine in ... I love it like a child ... fuss over it & am in awe of its developments. Veggies ... I love you !!
7. GEMS GEMS BEADS BAUBLES !!! I have tons of new semi-precious beads and I have been beading up a storm ... oh so pretty. My inner crow is sooo happy !!
8. A long weekend ... time has come for lovely fires up on the hill in the secret garden with friends, BBQs (I have been at that for a while now ...) , tailgating with the COFFIN BBQ, slowing down & chilling. Ahhhhh .... I can feel it now !!!
Well, that's it for now. Have a great week and a WONDERFUL long weekend !!